.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, June 29, 2007

 

Israel

I mentioned I've been reading some of the most popular blogs. A fair amount of what I has been coming from them. As I get more familiar with them, I hope to make more comments. Michelle Malkin is one that I follow; She's also behind Hot Air Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit is another one. I can barely stomach the liberal Daily Kos.

I had in mind commenting on my views on Israel. The Book of Mormon speaks of the restoration of the Jews to their ancestral home in several places. The resurrected Christ is quoted as saying,

And I will remember the covenant which I have made with my people;
and I have covenanted with them that I would gather them together in mine own due time, that I would give unto them again the land of their fathers for their inheritance, which is the land of Jerusalem, which is the promised land unto them forever, saith the Father. (3 Nephi 20: 29)

This is followed by other teachings in Latter-Day Saint scripture, for instance a Q&A on the Book of Revelation:

15 Q. What is to be understood by the two witnesses, in
the eleventh chapter of Revelation? A. They are two prophets that are
to be raised up to the Jewish nation in the last days, at the time of the
restoration, and to prophesy to the Jews after they are gathered and have built
the city of Jerusalem in the land of their fathers. (D&C 77:15)



Many others on the same theme could be cited. As a matter of fundamental religious belief, then, I view the establishment of Israel as a homeland for the Jews as approved by God and a fulfillment of prophecy, although I don't expect that to be a persuasive argument for those who don't share my beliefs. A more general argument would be that blanket irrational hatred of other people is wrong, whether those other people are Hutus and Tutsis, illegal immigrants to the US from Mexico, conservative bloggers, liberal Democrats, Muslims in gneral, Palestinians, or Israelis. More particularly, I can't believe those whose hatred is so extreme that they send bombs to kill women and children, or even defend or excuse those who do, have the right of any argument.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?