.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, March 30, 2006

 

Roller-coaster roads

On my trip out here, starting in Indiana and going through much of Ohio and West Virginia, I encountered a lot of narrow, up-and-down, winding, twisty roads. I've driven a few such, in Arizona and Utah, but there are more of them and they are longer out here.
Sometimes relationships are just that kind of thing, especially if emotions, hopes and fears, expectations, and our various roles in society get involved. I find it's necessary sometimes to put on the brakes, and slow down a bit. That's not the same as getting off the road.
I'm more than half convinced that romance is overrated. It's a disease, or maybe a pathological condition, akin to temporary insanity. I'll trade it for a stable, reliable friendship any time. Just about any time. Then again, *maybe* it's not *always* so bad...

As I was leaving the University library about lunch time, a young man was outside handing out pamphlets for "Jews for Jesus". I told him I thought it was a very good thing that some Jews seem to be accepting Jesus as the Messiah, and wished him the very best. I wanted to say more, but...I tend to get in trouble when my tongue starts wagging too freely.
I decided to call a halt to the Anne Perry series for now; I only made it halfway through the last couple of books. A friend has suggested a different one, the Mitford series by Jan Karon, that I'm going to try. I prefer to start series from the beginning, when I can. I went over to the city public library to see if they were there, and yes, they are.
The roommate who was my sometime chess partner, helped me get my glasses fixed, and so on was abruptly moved out a couple of weeks ago. I only heard rumors about why, and while I was in the city library, encountered him and heard his side of the story. I don't think he was or is being treated fairly, but I'm afraid the way he's handling it is more confrontational than conciliatory. I wish there was something I could do to help.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?