.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

 

Big heart

I was told yesterday by someone that I "have a lot of heart". That tickled my sense of humor, because I had just come from a visit with a cardiologist, who told me that I have "Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy". In English, the left ventricle of my heart is enlarged and musclebound; there's so much muscle that the blood flow is obstructed. He didn't say what causes it, except that it's probably genetic.

I don't know this condition developed, but I suspect it has something to do with the high blood pressure which I'm getting under control, which is revealing this underlying condition. But over the past few months, it's becoming limiting. And, no, the cardiologist says, this is not a good time for me to start training for a Marathon. I'll be doing well to maintain my normal activity and not turn into a complete vegetable.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?