.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

 

More science

I've been trying to move beyond science, but in continuing what I started and planned yesterday, I didn't get as far as I wanted. I've finished up a review of classical mechanics that puts a little more emphasis on the rigid-body and the non-rigid body aspects that are most useful outside of physics itself, but I'm going to have to come back to it eventually.

I also finished a rewrite of chemical compounds and added a few more of them. In organic chemistry, I'm starting with varieties of the carbon skeleton. These get more numerous and varied with each additional carbon atom added. I've also started looking at the oxygenated derivatives of the simplest hydrocarbons, methane and ethane. More of these are liquid at room temperature, compared to methane and ethane which are gases: This probably reflects the effect of hydrogen bonding among these molecules.

I also cleaned up and consolidated my astronomical information, which was scattered among several loose pages and worksheets. I didn't make any progress on mapping stars, except to note the standard coordinates of the 5 brightest and 5 nearest, so I can later convert them to the 3-dimensional mapping system I am using.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?