.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

 

Pennsboro

It took a while to get out of town, especially after I took a wrong turn and had to backtrack. In the meantime, I got a view of the flooding along the Little Kanawha River, which also goes through Parkersburg and joins the Ohio. That part isn't as well protected as the Ohio. I heard that there was 3 ft of water in downtown Marietta, so the flooding was much more severe there. If I hadn't changed my route, I would have been there in the middle of it!.

Monday was uneventful: Up and down, up and down. There are few towns of any size at all between Parkersburg and Clarksburg, just barely enough places to find water and maybe a snack. Forested and mountainous Being from out west, I would call them hills, but they are steep! I had a hard time even finding a flat, clear spot of any kind to sleep.

When I did, it was on a dead-end side road a little too close to a house, and apparently I scared the woman and children they came home and saw me almost after dark. This morning her husband came by to check me out, just after I had picked up and left the spot. He inquired about me, mostly the usual, and I guess I satisfied him, because a little later, as I was going up the highway, he and his done drove by and offered me a sack breakfast and some coffee. I declined the coffee, but was thankful for the breakfast.

This afternoon I had come about 3/4 of the way from Parkersburg to Ellenboro and was sitting down for a rest break, when a man stopped to offer a ride. He took me to the next town, Pennsboro, which is a little bit larger and has the library. I will probably go with him as far as Clarksburg.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?